Author: nome | Time: 2021-6-5 14:35:50 | Others|
5 11794

Threads

Credits

Kindergarten

Credits
Posted on 2021-6-5 14:35:50| All floors |Read mode
Hi guys,

I am not sure where I went wrong with the installtion of the Mapping software from this guide https://github.com/Livox-SDK/livox_mapping

Everything seems to have been install correctly but when I launch the rivz viwer with the lidar (Mid 40) it looks the same as with on the Livox viwer. See attach screen for more info.

When I move the Mid 40 around it does not map the area as it should. I am not really sure if Installed it correct. Is there a way I can check if I installed everything right?

Might be somehting else I need to setup or configure to be able to use mapping?

Thanks for any help.

This post contains more resources

You need to Login Before they can download or view these resources, Don’t have an account?Register

x

Use props Report

Threads

Credits

Administrator

Credits
Posted on 2021-6-10 13:39:38| All floors
It seems that the Mapping package has not been installed correctly.
You can play the Mid-40 rosbag example to ensure proper installation.

Use props Report

Threads

Credits

Pre-School

Credits
Posted on 2022-1-6 15:26:06| All floors
Last edited by joostm In 2022-1-6 19:26 Editor

Does the mapping software also work with the tele-15 ?
or is there another software package (on windows) that I can use to map an environment. I'm working in the R&D and just not a programmer by profession. So installing ubuntu and compiling all depencies is a bit starnge to me and cost a lot of time.

regards,

Joost

Use props Report

Threads

Credits

Kindergarten

Credits
Posted on 2022-2-19 13:43:13| All floors
I am also interested in mapping application for Windows mostly because I am not familiar with Ubuntu. However if Ubuntu is the only way can I ask about Livox-mapping the author of this topic is using.

Is it as simple as installing Livox mapping package on a pc running ubuntu, connecting a lidar(mine is mid-40) and then running a provided app for it(I assume it is included a package)?

And one more: I have two motorised heads I use for capturing 360 photos. If I mount a mid-40 on one of them and make a preset to rotate my mid-40 stopping every 18 degrees for 3-4 seconds will Livox mapping build a 360 degree point cloud data?

I can even program the head to do 5  tilts trying to capture 360 degree horizontally and about 180 degree vertically

If it is as simple as above what will be minimum pc requirements and can anyone recommend any affordable tablet(7-12") I can install ubuntu on?

And just in case, any solution for mapping to capture a colorized point cloud? I mean the solution that will let me to use an imaging sensor to get photos(or record video) during a walk and then somehow extract pixels from photos/frames to make a point cloud to be textured.

Use props Report

Threads

Credits

Kindergarten

Credits
Posted on 2022-12-30 06:19:18| All floors
Last edited by ozdrones In 2022-12-30 06:20 Editor

@ wingmanMedia

From my own experience and testing so far I can say the following:

Livox mapping works reasonably when moving slowly and steadily at the same level (I.e. tripod) The moment there are other movements like up/down, back and forth etc. then it appears to suffer drift or worse make a complete mess of the mapping.

Livo Livox on the other hand is supposed to have better algorithm and less likely to drift.
However, the package on GitHub hasn't got any provisions for saving files unless you know how to modify code yourself to suit.

My personal preference is a solution that has at least an IMU attached. In that way there is a more reliable mapping possible.
(I.e. Fast-LIO 2.0)
But this is in my opinion more suitable for indoor-mapping or basic / tripod based mapping.

If a more versatile outdoor solution is required then the system should also include a GPS receiver.
For precision mapping a RTK compatible receiver may be needed.

There is also some good comparison on YouTube showing the problems with drift without any additional sensors.

In regards to tablets:
Been working with KUbuntu (a Ubuntu flavour) for years).
Whilst Linux works well on all sort of PC platforms, both old and new, it has its limitations on tablets. - You need to do your homework prior to buying any as not every model is suitable to have Linux / Ubuntu installed.

Use props Report

Threads

Credits

Kindergarten

Credits
Posted on 2023-2-12 10:58:29| All floors
Last edited by WingmanMedia In 2023-2-12 11:04 Editor

Thanks ozdrones. I am not even trying to do anything related to mapping. I am stuck on making an orbital scan indoor. I have a Bluetooth IMU sitting on top of Mid-40 and recording an angle of rotation. I can see I can correct rotation angle in the Livox viewer by accessing lidar settings and applying it as yawn. The data displayed in the viewer corrects the angle along Z axis and all seems to be working but how to do it without stopping the MID-40, going to settings and applying the angle every time the mid-40 rotates I have no idea. I do not scan during rotation and only do it when it stops for 3 secods. However I could not find anything doing it on the fly or as postprocessing adding yawn angle matching both data by timestamp.
To be honest I do not think I need RTK or GNSS data as it is intended for  indoor scanning. And at this point I am not even try to solve a problem with lidar chaning position in a space(x,y) just want an oribtal scan even without tilting with all points placed correctly accounting for yawn. I know about Linux apps for it but I want it working on Windows. I have already have all devices to do it wirelessly without cables and any wired connection to a windows laptop.

Mapping would be my next step but being stuck without being able to do fast scanning with a simple orbital scan makes it less interesting. I could spent a week going deeper in Lidar tech and trying to use their samples for Windows but I bet I will need at least full week full time to get a sense for it and be able to write my own code. However I do not have so much of free time for that.

Use props Report

You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Credit Rules

Quick Reply Back to top